Looking out of the window here, you would not know that it is our Autumn (Fall) and the beginning of the indoor cycling season. However, this ‘Indian summer’ will not last and the paincave will call many of us.
Just last week, MyWhoosh dropped their latest iteration of their indoor cycling platform. Considering their resources and their plug-and-play design – is this the big fish competitor that serious cyclists have been waiting for?
Taking a step back
Since indoor/virtual cycling platforms evolved into Zwift, even the most anti-turbo training cyclists we forced to use Zwift during the pandemic. Their eyes were opened to social cycling indoors and even eSports cycling. I was this for a fact. A good friend who is a multi-Worlds Masters champion, who does not have a smart phone, central heating, or a working oven, got himself the internet, an iPad, an Elite Direto and Zwift!! He now regularly competes in on-line races! He was the last person that I ever thought who have got hooked in virtual cycling and racing.
New virtual cycling platforms have arrived to muscle in on the Zwift market-share and traction varies. New platform, MyWhoosh, offers something that we wonder if any others can claim – the backing of a nation!! Check out the jersey of Tadej Pogačar (UAE Team Emirates) and you will see MyWhoosh featured front and centre! ‘Pog’ now two-times winner of the Tour de France, is a MyWhoosh advocate and this is a team not without a depth of talent – guess where they train…
Why Aren’t Others Shouting about MyWhoosh?
Probably because there are far more people out there bound up with contracts to only speak/write about one virtual cycling platform! We don’t!!
How Does MyWhoosh Compare?
- MyWhoosh is currently free
- It runs on the following devices only:
- iPad Mini 5
- iPad Air 3
- iPad Pro 2 or above
- iPad 7
- iPhone X or above
- iOS 11 or above recommended
- I personally screen share MyWhoosh onto my Apple TV/TV screen using the screen-share from my iPhone
- MyWhoosh has group rides, solo rides and Workouts
- The Team behind MyWhoosh include familiar names from Zwift, including Kevin Poulton, former Zwift coach; ex top-level professional cycling; podcaster; thought leader and team leader on the original Zwift Academy
In essence, you get a very similar experience that early Zwifters will recall. For me, it’s Zwift reimagined and with great graphics and user experience.
- Elite Direto X
- Tacx NEO
- Wahoo KICKR
- Wahoo TICKR Heart Rate Monitor
- Garmin Heart Rate Monitor | Bluetooth Variant
Other equipment may work, but not as accurately as you may wish. For example, a Kinetic R1 was reading low on cadence.
What about racing?
MyWhoosh arguably has the highest paying virtual cycling races / eSports / eRacing! Check out their website and the race results. If you are competitive in virtual cycling, with dual-power, using your real name (MyWhoosh has a sign-up process that does it’s best to get rid of the ‘I’m only amazing in my shed’ types) – you may have a real chance of a placing.
How Many Routes?
Currently there are 13 routes in the forward direction – if you choose reverse, make that 26 – plus the ability to change direction on a course.
I don’t do racing and only group rides! What is there for me?
The recent update has included group rides that have bots of varying abilities to ride with. These are enter before the start time to join events. For me, pace bots, like on Zwift, would have a great addition. As numbers grow on MyWhoosh, so will the social aspect of being able to banter during rides.
I’m a big fan of workout modes – what is there?
Kevin Poulton and his coaching team have created workouts, based upon your profile and the plan is to roll-out analytics enabling you to see and gain further insights and progression with your training.
I would imagine the following:
- Group rides similar to the best elsewhere
- Best-in-class drafting and bunch dynamics, as similar to real life as possible
- Gaming PC compatibility for the live-streaming community
- World domination of eSports/eRacing – featuring the top riders in the world, with large prize pots
- Racing for everyone and where the best in each category can win, real money/things – not just the elite
- A greater compatibility with more smart trainers and equipment
- Steering and rising (e.g. Elite Rizer)
- More courses
- AI diagnostics based on ride data to best recommend training plans for your targeted goals, designed specifically for you
I’m currently on my journey to level 6 in the ‘game’ and about to start using the workouts. I’ll report later on how I progress. Enjoy.